&&ot Unser Jahr in Deutschland

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Go, Dave! It's yo Birthday!!

I've reached another rite of passage. As I woke the other morning, Erin turned to me and said, "Happy Birthday, baby! You've officially been driving for half of your life." It was a new revelation for me and an especially funny one considering that just a day before I had had to fight the rental car company since I have no way of proving that I have had a driver's license for longer than two years (let alone 16). Driving the nicer BMWs from German rental companies requires that you can prove that you've had a license for at least 2 years—something that is taken for granted US once you're over 30 and only a German could easily prove considering that many of them are still flashing their same picture from when they got their license in 1968!

Anyway, the day was a good one spent in Regensburg. It included a late wake-up call after sleeping in the comfort of Angela's old bed (now the guest bed) and then heading to Orphee, my favorite coffee spot in Regensburg.


After Stefan and Angela returned from work the real party began. Angela poured wine, Erin got my Geburtstagstisch ready and Stefan hauled out the umbrella. After opening my cards and presents (an iPhone & book from Erin, fancy silver cuff-links from S&A, cards and gift certficates from Tom & Kay, and a cool book on transit systems of the world from Rick), we headed out for the night.


Another difference between 16 and 32 is that instead of starting late and looking for a club to get oblitterated in, we searched out a good old gut-bomb in the Spitalgarten where Angela had pre-ordered four Schweinshax'n that pair perfectly with a couple of beer. Then, after we felt that warmth of fullness and the need to find loser fitting pants, we rolled back home for Erin's home-made yellow cake with dark chocolate butter cream frosting and the birthday wish: A successful year that brings Erin and I home!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home