
Visa. The only way to stay.
It's funny, the things you get used to doing on a semi-regular basis when living in a foreign country. In Germany, one of those annoying errands invariably involves getting your visa papers together so that you can get (another) extension.
Since living here, I have been to the Ausländerbehörde 5 times. That's 5 times in 14 months. Imagine going to the DMV that often, only your right to stay in country is what hangs in the balance. Plus, like the DMV, it depends entirely on the mood of the person behind the desk as to just how difficult (or easy) this is going to be. Point in case: today after going into a long spiel about how he could charge me for the visa extension, and how it would potentially be the fairest thing to do, the guy quickly says, "but I won't!". When I went in April, there was apparently nothing stopping his colleague—she charged me 30€. Erin also noticed that today's powerful-man-behind-the-desk would make a joke, but if you joked back he'd whip around and sternly say, "No this is serious!"
Wacko!
Anyway, here is a montage of all the Visas that we have accumulated in Germany. We're legal: Erin until the end of the year and I until October 2008.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home