&&ot Unser Jahr in Deutschland

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rags to Riches, Baby!!

OK. So before I write the actual story here, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on the irony of my current state. I am eating a Reeses Penut Butter Cup, reading the book by Ruth Reichl (the New York Times restaurant critic), and Erin is nowhere to be found. Just how being alone and so poor that all I can eat is the candy can conjure up thoughts of me living it up with Erin this last weekend in Bavaria, I don't know....but from rags of that to the riches of story we can continue.

Our one-year anniversary was a decadent display in how much food a human can consume when the menu is right. I mean it. I am still dreaming of the foie gras we ate!

In many ways it is really fitting that this year, our first wedding anniversary, we find ourselves somewhat scrambling to find a way to come together so that we can celebrate. After all, the adventure that brought Erin and I together just a short year ago too has been stamped with exhilaration of chasing after one another. Even more fitting is the fact that this dance between time and love keeps bringing us back to Bavaria -- first in 1998, then in 2005, and again in 2007.

Arriving in Munich on Friday, after having spent a great night with Stefan and Angela in Regensburg satisfying my need for a hamburger, was like that moment of déjà vu that you have when someone walks by and you just get a whiff of their perfume. At first you can't place the scent, so familiar, and then suddenly, memories of the past rush to your head. In the end, you find yourself stumbling out of a distant memory only to recognize this is all different.

I have no better example of this feeling for you than the feeling I got when I walked by Planet München where I used to buy my super Germo club clothes. Walking by I had the same feeling of, "Oh, ya!! I am gonna go in there and find another short for the clubs!" Then, I rounded the corner and quickly surveyed the other customers bouncing in and out of the store...they were all, every single one of them, at least 10 when not 15 years younger than me.

Personal opinion here: Life sucks when you realize that déjà vu is not always going to bring back happy memories.

Anyway...since Erin had to leave early on the 25th (the actual day), decided to celebrate the anniversary day on Saturday, the 24th of March this year. Our day started with a late breakfast that then led us to the decision that we should visit the Pinokoteken Museums (Alte & Moderne). While the two museums certainly heald their own highlights (Picassos, Dalis, Rembrandt, Bol, Rubens, Warhol), the real highlight came at dinner.

The restaurant is called Boettner's. Located in the dead center of the city, it was the perfect setting for our first anniversary dinner. The menu was amazing, filled with German takes on French cuisine and proving that not all German food needs to be so heavy. (Check it out above...the English is my personal attempt at being a translator.)

With all the traveling that we have been doing, often apart from one another, Erin and I took the 4 hours of dinner to just be together and talk, laugh, and just sneek in a kiss or two. I fell in love all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home